Sunday, June 19, 2016

Not coleslaw

At this time of year, I start seeing beautiful little heads of cabbage at the City Market. I'm always tempted to get one or two, but how much coleslaw can you eat (even Brother Juniper's)? So here is something that is definitely not coleslaw: a stir-fried cabbage with Indian spices. Mom and I love it and have it often as a simple vegetarian meal served over brown jasmine rice or Thai Coconut Rice.


Stir-Fried "Crack" Cabbage

Adapted from Quick & Easy Indian Cooking (2007) by Madhur Jaffrey via Food52

Time: 35 minutes

1 medium-large onion (~200 grams)
1½ pounds green cabbage (~1 small head or half a large head)
¼ cup (53 grams) olive, sunflower, or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
½ teaspoon fennel seeds
¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon sea salt
⅛ to ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon (15 grams) freshly squeezed lemon juice
½ teaspoon garam masala (store bought or homemade)

    1. Trim the top off the onion, leaving the root attached. Cut in half through the root (pole to pole). Peel the onion, then cut each half pole to pole into fine half rings.
    2. Remove the coarse outer leaves of the cabbage until you're left with the tightly packed leaves. Stand the cabbage up on its stem and cut it in half. Remove the stem using diagonal cuts around the core. Place the cabbage on your cutting board cut side down, then slice lengthwise into very fine, long shreds.
    3. Put the oil in a large nonstick pan, and set the pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the sesame, fennel, and cumin seeds. When the sesame seeds begin to pop, add the onion. Stir fry until the onion has browned a bit around the edges, 3 to 4 minutes.
    4. Add the cabbage shreds, fitting as much as you can comfortably in the pan. It will shrink as it cooks so you can wait to add more as you go if necessary. Stir fry until the cabbage has softened and shrunk down some, about 6 minutes. Stir in the salt and cayenne. Turn the heat down to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened and caramelized, about 7 or 8 minutes more.
    5. Stir in the lemon juice and garam masala. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Serve promptly over rice (Thai Coconut Rice is especially good). Serves 4.

4 comments:

  1. Moriah and Dylan made this for us when we were in Seattle last weekend and I have made it several times at home myself since Moriah raved about it. I usually make it with the cabbage having a bit more texture and Moriah and Dylan's cabbage was very soft. It's delicious both ways but when it's softer it reminds me of my jewish cabbage and noodles recipe with different spices and it feels more Asian inspired when it's a bit more crispy and I want to eat it with chop sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting. I don't think I've ever made it with anything but pretty crispy cabbage (at least when it first goes in the pan). For some reason, I was little surprised when Dylan told me how often he makes this. I'm glad you like it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dylan and I had a ton of extra red cabbage lying around last week from when we made that tofu recipe you posted!... SO I made myself some crack cabbage with it, but instead of garam masala I added a bunch of sweet paprika and some smoked paprika when the cayenne went it. It turned out great! I also added a couple of black peppercorns with the whole spices at the beginning, I thought that’d play well with red cabbage’s pepperiness. Just had to be careful not to bite a whole peppercorn when I was eating it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comments on two different recipes in the same day! I love it, Moriah, makes UaKS seem like a "real" food blog, where people leave comments saying what changes they made to a recipe and how they worked (with the added bonus of no annoying ads). I had the same issue with the extra red cabbage from the Tofu Taco Bowls and was thinking about a coleslaw recipe, since I haven't posted one yet ...

      Delete