Saturday, March 25, 2017

Desperate times

Friday is one of those days it's hard to come home and have any ideas on "what's for dinner?" I often look at the counter and see a leftover avocado or two that Mom didn't use for lunch on the verge of going bad and I wonder how to save them. I read an article about avocado toast a while back and did some research and found out, to my surprise, that it had gone viral. I asked Mom if she wanted to try some avocado toast for dinner, and she asked, "Is that really a thing?" I told her to Google "avocado toast," which she did, and quickly confirmed that avocado toast is most definitely "a thing." She had some plain, on her child-sized gluten-free bread, while I made a more dinner-like sandwich for Brad and me by adding a fried egg. Brad wouldn't go so far as to say that it was a "taste sensation," but he did think it was good and ate his whole sandwich hungrily. On the other hand, Mom and I liked it so much, we just had some more for second breakfast this morning. Mom pronounced it "heavenly" and her new favorite food, and wondered how we've managed to do without it all our lives. I won't go that far, but it is a good option if you're casting about desperately for something to eat and happen to have a ripe avocado on hand.



Avocado Toast

Adapted from Smitten Kitchen (inspired by Cafe Gitane in New York City, where you, too, can pay $8.00 for a piece of avocado toast)

Time: 7 minutes

The internet is loaded with ideas to dress up your avocado toast, if you're so inclined. I don't see much need, but I did add an egg for Brad and me to stretch this into a full meal. One simple thing you can do to amp up the flavor is sprinkle on some Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend.

1 thick slice of hearty bread, preferably with something crunchy in it (they use seven-grain bread at Cafe Gitane)
half of a ripe avocado
good extra-virgin olive oil
lemon juice
flaky sea salt like Maldon, or fleur de sel (see note)
crushed red pepper flakes

Toast the bread till it’s dark and firm. Scoop the avocado onto the toast, then mash it down gently, spreading the avocado from edge to edge. Drizzle with olive oil, then squeeze on a few drops of lemon juice. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and lots of crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe, this was perfect on a week when we had no stove :)

    ReplyDelete